Timber Gift Ideas
Timber Gift Ideas For That Special Day
Three Presentation Ideas To Best Fit Her Taste.
How are you going to choose a perfect gift for your wife? What type of gift presentation will make her the happiest?
Before we get started on what could be some of the most important aspects of your well-being, you should be aware of two things.
1. I'm going to give you my perspective and my ideas... as I have experienced life. This may or may not be good for you, but one thing is true; those people who can truly see themselves and be humble seem to have an easier time in life.
2. In order to put a smile of delight on your wife's face, you will have to put time and effort into thinking about what you're going to do for her. A last minute, afterthought type of gift feels like a second rate gesture of love and concern, even if the actual value of the gift is very high!
Which brings me to perhaps the most important point.
This has to do with being small. It has to do with the conditioning of your heart. Because, like you've heard, if your heart is not in the right place, nothing can turn out well. Examine, and if need be, correct your motives before getting started, so you can have an easy time figuring out what, how, and when you will do something special for your darling.
So, let's get started with brainstorming from the top down.
- Huge park pavilion donated in her name (So her legacy is unique and special for your community)
- A timber framed vacation home or cabin (Nothing like lasting value and durability)
- Remodeled kitchen (add simple timbers or trusses)
- Great room addition or even a banquet room (Make family get-togethers more homey, mellow, easier than ever)
- Timber trusses added to master bedroom
- New timber framed front entry
- An old world wine cellar (Old wine and hand-crafted, reclaimed timbered tasting room)
- An entry portal and/or gate of massive timbers (So your guest's experience is good right from the start)
- Add a small timbered deck off the master bedroom - or a large deck with a roof over the hot tub to really expand your outdoor living enjoyment
- Get a unique fireplace mantel
- Timber accents such as crafted light blocks, bookshelves, or even a timber framed bench, desk, stools or chairs
- A timbered swingset - which adds rather than detracts from your backyard
- Perhaps a sign with the family name carved in solidly placed timber near your house
- Timbered drive thru porte cochere (think parking right off the front door, easy access, no backing up, and no garage clutter)
Obviously, there is no end to the different ideas and combinations you can put together. In choosing a gift, you'll want to use your instinct as well as your ability to think and be creative.
You can start by reviewing the list above. As you read all the options, keep your mind open for related or spontaneous insight.
When you are struck by a certain idea, or you can vividly 'see' both of you having a good time, enjoying a certain timber atmosphere, WRITE IT DOWN... Don't keep reading and let it slip away! (You can also use these notes to prove your effort and your commitment to her.)
Before you actually build anything, you want to get her to help in defining and finalizing her gift, but do enough research and thinking to make her happy and view the project as your gift.
Say, for example, you feel like your wife would really like a kitchen and living area with an authentic timber feel. Point "A" then, is your current situation - You want to do something special for your wife to show her how much you appreciate her. What is point "B"? You and I know it would be laughable to say "We'll remodel the kitchen (or build a house with a timbered kitchen and living area,) and I know just what she wants."
Again, I ask, what is your point "B"?
Can you decide exactly what the end product, or your gift to her shall be? I know that I certainly cannot! (I save all my gift receipts.) Dare I say that Point "B" is to:
1. Put together a caring gift that will demonstrate your love to your wife.
2. Give her the reins to personalize and modify it so that it becomes a lasting and perfect gift which reflects her style of living.
So here are three different package ideas you can use or not, depending on what you think she might like best:
1. Card + handwritten note + packet says: I care about you and here are some ideas I think that you may like, but you can decide what you want - I'm behind you.
I feel like this is the simplest formula to get your lady what she wants. Basically, you just compile pictures, ideas, and info for a home improvement project you think she would like. Give her a card with a personal message telling her three things that you like about her, why you think that she deserves the gift you are suggesting and that you support her and will get started immediately with planning... If she likes the idea. (You might want to share a past memory and close with a loving, heartfelt thanks.)
2. List of ideas with pros and cons and possible ways to achieve or go about deciding and getting what she wants.
This option is basically an expansion of option #1, as you will still present her with your card, note, and package. You will just spend more time weighing pros and cons, gathering information, and prices. When you have the info compiled and organized so nicely, she will see the effort you've put into pleasing her and be very appreciative. And this still leaves room for the two you to figure out all of the specifics and logistics for her gift, which means that she will feel cared for but not left out.
3. Actual set of preliminary plans and estimated costs.
Here is the ultimate surprise gift. It is also the most work and the most risky, but the look of surprise and delight on her face may be worth the effort of presenting a gift that only needs personalization tweaks before it can be immediately implemented. Again, this requires some up front investment, time and some subterfuge to keep the secret hidden from her, but has a huge potential payoff in the great surprise and the story which is created - Do this only if you feel like you know your wife very well or know that she will appreciate the surprise even if she doesn't care for your actual idea.
How are you going to present this packet to your lady so she feels your love and concern?
Also, you want a presentation that will give you an out, if your surprise gift is something that is low on her list of priorities. You definitely do not want her to see this as something that you want more than she does... Don't suggest a timber framed trophy room and rec room for example!
If you are reading this, I don't believe your gift will backfire because a person like yourself, drawn to read this article, is obviously looking to serve and please your wife and to nurture the good that you share. If you can start out right and have the right concern or motivation the rest seems to take care of itself... or so I have experienced.
Would any of the following three gift-presenting ideas be something your lady would appreciate?
"Sherri, I've put more thought and effort than money into your gift so far this year... If you want something other than this, the only major loss is my time, but I think this is something that will make you happy"... And then you give her the pictures, the ideas, and tentative roadmap you have put together for her... Then wait... Don't say anything... Let her absorb the info. Listen closely to her response because waiting for her response puts the control in her lap and shows her that you care about what she wants.
The simplicity of this delivery makes it possible for you to present your gift in any kind of setting... But as with anything, you'll want to get your timing right. Interrupting her from something important or vying for her attention when she is under stress (meeting a deadline, heading to the doctor, rushing to make dinner, preoccupied with a problem, etc.) is something you'll want to avoid. This straightforward approach, or a variation of it, will show her your sincerity.
Your lady finds a clue, in her coffee cup, taped to her toothbrush, in her car, etc. which directs her to another location where you might have a portion of your surprise along with more directions... Kind of like a treasure hunt except that she will get clues about the gift as she goes along. This could be as simple as a few things hidden around the house or something very complicated using house trips, mapquest, the internet, and library... Just depending upon your available time and what you think your girl would enjoy. The advantage to this method is that it shows her even more, the effort you put forth for her, and she has the experience even if now isn't the right time for your home improvement gift for her. Another plus is that you don't have to worry about timing as much... She can think about your gift and respond when it feels right for her.
This isn't really my style, but I would love to do more of this if I could...
Think some type of special setting, a private booth with dim lights at a restaurant, a view of expansive city lights at night, a candlelight dinner at home, or even a setting such as Paris, Venice, etc. If the expense is negligible for you.
"Dear, I would really like to give you something lasting... We've been together XX years and you really deserve something special. What would you think if we would, together, create..."
The obvious benefit here is the irrefutable proof of your love and effort put into your relationship. And you state that you want to create something together, which leaves your possibilities pretty open-ended. She will appreciate all your research and brainstorming, so make sure you try to customize your ideas for her!
It is my hope that you have enjoyed yourself, smiled a bit, and will leave with ideas to make your Special Day a good one.